The Next Big Idea Competition is here! Tap into your entrepreneurial side by coming up with an idea that offers beneficial value to the marketplace, society, environment, community, campus life, etc.
The winning entry will receive a $500 prize!
For consideration, you will need to submit an entry form with your idea that describes a problem or opportunity, and also describes your idea for addressing it. (See below for example ideas.) This contest is open to all College of Humanities and Sciences undergraduate and graduate students – individuals or teams of up to four people.
The contest rules are as follows:
- Must be a CHS undergraduate/graduate student
- One entry per student
- 1-4 students per entry
- Complete the Entry Form
- Submission forms must be limited to one page
Entry Form must include:
- Email Adress:
- Expected Graduation Date:
- Describe a problem or opportunity (no more than 300 words)
- Describe the Solution – the Next Big Idea (no more than 300 words)
- Link to YouTube video (optional – no longer than 90 seconds)
FIRST PRIZE: $500
SECOND PRIZE: $300
THIRD PRIZE: $100
FINALIST (2): $50
Videos are not required, but they are encouraged as an effective way to communicate ideas to the review committee. Any applicant who submits a video with their application will also receive 5 additional points. YouTube videos are limited to 90 seconds and creativity is encouraged.
1. Products or Services: Do you have an idea for a new product or service that meets some need in the marketplace? Alternatively, you could select an existing product or service and provide an idea about how it could be improved.
2. Social or “Green” Concerns: Do you have any ideas that will improve society in some way? Ideas for this category include those that help the environment and those that help address social issues.
3. Commercial Applications of VCU Research Project: Are you working on a research project at VCU College of Humanities and Sciences? Do you have ideas for a commercial products or service related to your work?
4. Campus Innovations: Do you have innovative ideas that would enrich campus life of H&S students?
5. Other ideas? Any idea qualifies for this competition, so do not let thse examples limit your creativity!
This competition is sponsored by Venture Creation University (VCU Squared), a unique university-wide initiative launched by VCU Innovation Gateway and VCU da Vinci Center.