The mission of the College of Humanities and Sciences is to serve as the intellectual “heart and soul” of our institution and wider community. The College of Humanities and Sciences:
- Prepares lifelong learners to participate actively as engaged and responsible citizens.
- Propels scientific research and scholarship to improve the human condition, cure and treat diseases, and promote healthy environments.
- Grounds us in our history, critically examines our present human condition, and empowers students to create more equitable local and global communities.
- Provides communities with a passionate and creative workforce that serves as a powerful engine for economic development and innovative solutions to problems.
As the intellectual lifeblood of VCU and our community, the College of Humanities and Sciences seeks to inspire our students to explore their passions and dreams as individuals, and provide the context to understand their place in the world and connections with others — locally, globally, and throughout time. Most importantly, our educational and research environment addresses an array of technological, health-related, and societal problems, as well as providing profound insights and reflections of what it means to be human and humane. The College of Humanities and Sciences not only attempts to prepare students for employment, but also aspires to help them construct a foundation on which they will build a rich and deeply meaningful life and career. Our aim is not just education for employment, but also the transformation of the students who move through their experiences at VCU by encouraging them to explore opportunities they might have never imagined, and providing them the tools to pursue these opportunities.
- A liberal arts and sciences education enhances the general quality of life and provides a pathway for students to become more productive leaders, global citizens and members of our society. Such an education is a pathway for students to develop a deeply meaningful and successful life and career.
- A dynamic, inclusive learning and working environment in which individuals of differing cultural and intellectual perspectives and backgrounds, and differing life experiences are welcomed, valued and supported by our faculty and staff.
- Transforming lives requires our full commitment to academic and scholarly excellence. The future excellence of the College of Humanities and Sciences must continue to support existing strengths in research, scholarship, and academic programs, including community engagement, leading toward national distinction, while ensuring that the critical elements of all programs are supported to provide a pathway for future excellence.
- Investments that we make in our students and communities transform our humanity in important ways that go beyond VCU in creating a more just and vibrant world.
The College is currently undergoing a process to update our strategic plan which includes a review of our comprehensive plan, clarification of our strategic priorities, identification of strategies for success, establishment of a course of action, and development of key performance measures. More about that process can be found here.